There’s no avoiding it – winter is on the way in which. The phrase alone could be sufficient to strike concern into the hearts of horse house owners and riders, for whom chilling recollections of final yr’s winter horrors are resurfacing as quick because the temperature is dropping.
Competing all through the winter is usually a mighty problem as properly – however if you’re a dressage rider, we reckon you’ve received it higher than most. The truth is, we’d enterprise that of all of the equestrian sports activities, dressage is the one everybody needs they had been doing in the course of the UK winter, and right here’s why….
1. Any showjumper who’s sat shivering underneath a steady rug ready for a jump-off course to be constructed at some deathly hour on a Sunday night time will really feel envious of their dressage colleagues. We all know precisely what time we are going to enter the ring, and we all know precisely what time we shall be completed driving. No ready round and re-warming up within the chilly and rain for us!
2. Heading to a dressage present on a heat summer time’s night is gorgeous, however there’s one thing undeniably magical about trotting down the centre line of a floodlit indoor area whereas it’s pitch black outdoors. You can virtually think about you’re driving on the London Worldwide Horse Present…
3. Dressage doesn’t shut down in the course of the winter. Removed from it. There’s loads to fill the diary, should you so need, whether or not it’s mapping out a plan to get your regional or space pageant qualification in place, or aiming for the mixed coaching championships.
4. A elaborate new winter clip is likely to be simply what’s wanted to rework your considerably reluctant dressage cob right into a super-charged turbo beast who reckons he might give Glamourdale a run for his cash with regards to prolonged canter. You may want to sit down additional tight within the warm-up, however your marks for impulsion won’t ever have been greater.
5. With Christmas across the nook, it may be tempting to surrender on the wholesome consuming and health marketing campaign as rapidly as you’ll be able to say “mince pie”. That’s, except you might be somebody who has aspirations of competing in a tailcoat come January. There’s nothing fairly just like the concern of sporting a cutaway jacket in public within the not-so-distant future to discourage you from overeating in the course of the festive interval.
6. A take a look at sheet filled with constructive decide’s feedback could be the very best motivator to maintain you centered in your targets even within the deepest depths of winter. Win or lose, you realize you’ll (hopefully) come house with one thing strong to work on.
7. You don’t even have to go away your yard to compete should you actually don’t need to. If the considered battling icy roads or getting up early to plait in sub-zero temperatures fills you with dread, then possibly it’s time to present on-line dressage a go. It’s principally the dressage equal of working from house. What’s to not like?!
You might also be involved in…
Credit score: Actual Time Imaging
The leg-yield is a lateral motion through which a horse travels each ahead and sideways on the similar time. It is
Credit score: Future
Horse & Hound journal, out each Thursday, is filled with all the newest information and stories, in addition to interviews, specials, nostalgia, vet and coaching recommendation. Discover how one can take pleasure in the journal delivered to your door each week, plus choices to improve your subscription to entry our on-line service that brings you breaking information and stories in addition to different advantages.