Horses have been round for, properly, donkey’s years. They’re inextricably woven into the material and folklore of Britain — and lots of international locations around the world, too. Right here we spherical up a couple of horsey superstitions so that you can contemplate…
1. By no means put on something new out looking or competing.
2. It’s unfortunate to rename your horse.
3. Inexperienced is an unfortunate color for equestrians — and even a inexperienced handkerchief within the betting ring on the races is taken into account to carry dangerous luck.
4. Seeing one gentle gray horse is dangerous luck (except you might be along with your lover), however seeing two collectively brings good luck.
5. A horseshoe is fortunate if hung exterior your property — the iron wards off evil spirits — however watch out to hold it the precise manner up, in any other case all your loved ones’s good luck will drain out of it… though others declare a horseshoe needs to be hung the other way up to cease the satan sitting within the backside of it, in order that’s a difficult one…
6. A bridegroom should carry a horseshoe in his pocket to make sure a cheerful marriage.
7. The shoe of a two-year-old filly positioned in your butter churn will cease witches stealing your butter. (An issue I’m certain many people share…)
8. A horse neighing exterior your door means your loved ones will get sick. (This may very well be an issue in case you preserve your horses at dwelling…)
9. Piebalds are fortunate, skewbalds are unfortunate.
10. It’s best to do 13 plaits for geldings and 12 for mares…
11. …Though others consider it ought to all the time be a good variety of plaits, together with the forelock, to keep away from dangerous luck.
12. A light-weight gray horse showing in a dream for 3 successive nights means an aged individual will die…
13. …Except they’re three gentle gray colts, during which case a teenager will die.
14. A horse present in its area all sweaty with a tangled and twisted mane and tail has spent the night time being ridden by pixies.
15. Dun or buckskin horses are thought to be unfortunate by the Bedoin, and in addition in Romania.
16. The Hungarians and Spanish assume black horses are fortunate – the French and Bedoin consider the reverse.
17. One white leg, purchase him/Two white legs, attempt him/Three white legs, ship him distant (Promote him to your foes)/4 white legs, preserve him not a day (Feed him to the crows).
18. In some historical cultures, vows taken on horseback had particular sanctity and will by no means be damaged.
- Do you could have any horsey superstitions that you simply really feel are price including to our checklist? Get in contact with us at email@example.com
You may additionally be serious about:
If you watch riders participate in disciplines aside from yours, do you generally surprise quietly to your self how they
Credit score: Future
Horse & Hound journal, out each Thursday, is filled with all the most recent information and stories, in addition to interviews, specials, nostalgia, vet and coaching recommendation. Discover how one can get pleasure from the journal delivered to your door each week, plus choices to improve your subscription to entry our on-line service that brings you breaking information and stories in addition to different advantages.