In our 118th episode, we had the pleasure of talking with Nelio Bugallo, a.ok.a. Jaye Jurassick, a tremendous artist who has labored in lots of mediums. He’s a tattoo apprentice, an illustrator, painter, sculptor, and extra, who has created some stunning dinosaur in eggs illustrations, and a few splendidly detailed feathered dinosaurs. You should purchase a few of his work on Etsy (the place he sells customized toys and replicas, akin to Jurassic Park crates and Jurassic Park Dilophosaurus venom) and shirts, cellphone circumstances, prints, and extra at Crimson Bubble. You may as well see extra of his work on his web site, neliobugallo.com, Fb, @nbugalloart, and Instagram, @jaye_jurassick.
Episode 118 is all about Suchomimus, a spinosaurid with a crocodile-like cranium.
Do you want dinosaur swag? Be part of our neighborhood on Patreon now to get an Allosaurus t-shirt!
Huge thanks to all our present Patreon supporters!
You possibly can take heed to our free podcast, with all our episodes, on iTunes at:
On this episode, we talk about:
- Scientists found a brand new Jurassic dinosaur, Isaberrysaurua mollensis, present in Patagonia, based on Nature
- Scientists analyzed the “Combating Dinosaurs” from Mongolia, based on Paleontological Journal
- New titanosaur osteoderms present in North Patagonia are described in ScienceDirect
- Scientists described dinosaur eggshells from Alberta, Canada, in ScienceDirect
- PLOS One defined how sauropods ate to develop into gigantic
- Scientists described Jurassic carnivorous dinosaur footprints, present in China, based on Vertebrate PalAsiatica
- A invoice was launched in California to call Augustynolophus morrisi the state dinosaur, based on California Legislative Info
- The Environmental Science Institute on the College of Texas at Austin revealed new movies on Youtube about dinosaurs: a brief clip on what dinosaurs regarded like, and one other quick clip on what dinosaurs gave the impression of, taken from the “Secret Lives of Dinosaurs” speak by Dr. Julia Clarke of their collection “Sizzling Science Cool Talks”
- TV Overmind reported on James Burrows, who constructed a 125,000 piece dinosaur themed LEGO park
- Chicago Tonight reported on Neil Shubin, a paleontologist from the College of Chicago, who not too long ago got here again from his first fossil hunt in Antarctica
- Geek.com wrote about Hasbro’s Toy Honest media briefing, which featured Trypticon, a dinosaur Transformer
- The sixty fifth Symposium of Vertebrate Paleontology and Comparative Anatomy and the twenty sixth Symposium of Paleontological Preparation and Conservation will likely be held in Birmingham, UK, September 12-15
- In keeping with Birmingham Mail, Birmingham park may have life-sized dinosaurs for the summer season
- In keeping with Devices Now and ABC, a crew of scientists in Melbourne, Australia, are working to mix digital actuality and 3D printing to show individuals about dinosuars
Dinosaur of the day: Suchomimus
- Spinosaurid with a crocodile-like cranium
- Lived within the Cretaceous in what’s now Niger, Africa
- Species is Suchomimus tenerensis
- Species title is after the Ténéré Desert the place Suchomimus was discovered
- Paul Sereno and his crew discovered Suchomimus fossils in 1997 (David Varrichhio discovered the primary bone, a thumb claw, in December 1997)
- Discovered a partial cranium and skeleton
- Paul Sereno and his crew described Suchomimus in 1998
- In 2007 the furcula (wishbone) was described (present in a 2000 expedition)
- In 2002, some scientists stated that Suchomimus was the identical as Cristatusaurus lapparenti, which was present in the identical formation in Niger. Cristatusaurus was named earlier in 1998 than Suchomimus, however they proposed the 2 have been really a second species of Baryonyx, Baryonyx tenerensis
- A part of Baryonychinae in Spinosauridae
- Just like Baryonyx (from England), each had robust forelimbs and huge claws on their “thumbs”
- Suchomimus is bigger than Baryonyx, but it surely’s unclear how previous the specimens have been once they died
- Suchomimus had neural spines, that will have held a low crest of sail
- Pores and skin sail or hump might have been used for thermoregulation or storing meals (neural spines have been giant, which can imply it was a hump, to help the load)
- Baryonyx didn’t have neural spines, however the specimen discovered wasn’t an grownup, so some scientists suppose Baryonyx and Suchomimus have been the identical, and that they grew neural spines as they aged (not clear if that is true, would want to discover a specimen that exhibits intermediate improvement of neural spines)
- Suchomimus discover helped scientists higher perceive Spinosaurus
- Extra carefully associated to Baryonyx than Spinosaurus, which suggests spinosaurids might have been throughout Pangaea, however then have been cut up up by the opening of the Tethys sea, so Europe/Laurasia spinosaurids developed individually from South America/Africa/Gondwana spinosaurids. Then there might have a dispersal occasion within the early Cretaceous (Europe to Africa) that led to Suchomimus in Africa.
- Subadult Suchomimus discovered, estimated to be 34-36 ft (10.3-11 m lengthy), weighing between 2.7-5.2 tons (Gregory Paul estimated in 2010 it was 9.5 m and a pair of.5 tons), grownup most likely bigger
- Had an extended, low snout and slender jaws
- Had lengthy, slender nostrils
- Had a brief, muscle-y neck
- Lived in a swampy habitat
- Remainder of physique not nice for aquatic life-style
- Had highly effective hand claws
- Had conical enamel, about 122 of them, that have been finely serrated and curving barely backward (not too sharp)
- Tip of snout was enlarged sideways and had some longer enamel (7 on either side of the cranium)
- Ate fish and doubtless carrion (dinosaurs and pterosaurs, although it’s not clear in the event that they hunted or scavenged)
- Tooth have been good for greedy (not slicing) and had a strong roof of mouth, so it may stand up to prey twisting in its mouth, additionally most likely higher suited to scavenging than searching
- However Suchomimus claws would have made it simple to slash small dinosaurs (like Ouranosaurus) whereas holding it in its mouth
- Suchomimus fossils are within the Musée Nationwide du Niger assortment
- Spinosauridae household have been theropods (a gaggle of principally carnivorous dinosaurs that developed into birds).
- Spinosaurids have been present in Africa, Europe, South America, Asia, and Australia.
Enjoyable truth: Dinosaurs and people have related femur to hip connections which implies that we stroll in related methods. Nonetheless, their ankle is far greater up their leg than ours (typically it seems like they’ve a second knee that bends backwards).
Allosaurus T-shirt (Restricted Time!)
We’ve got an Allosaurus t-shirt on sale at Teespring. Hurry, it’s solely up on the market till March 27! Particular due to artist Josh Cotton, the Doodling Dino, for the superior drawing. Get it right here:
For individuals who might choose studying, see beneath for the complete transcript of our interview with Nelio Bugallo: