Episode 76 can be about Marshosaurus, a carnivorous theropod named after Charles Marsh.
Like dinosaurs? Assist I Know Dino on Patreon!
Thanks to all our Patreon supporters! You’re superior!
You possibly can hearken to our free podcast, with all our episodes, on iTunes at:
On this episode, we focus on:
- The dinosaur of the day: Marshosaurus
- Identify means Marsh’s lizard
- Greater than 14,000 bones had been discovered within the Cleveland-Lloyd Quarry in Utah within the Nineteen Sixties. Most of them had been from Allosaurus, however there have been additionally two new theropods. James Madsen named each: Stokesosaurus and Marshosaurus
- Madsen named the species Marshosaurus bicentesimus in 1976, to honor Charles Marsh and the bicentennial of the U.S.
- The holotype consists of an higher pelvis bone and items of higher jaw; not less than three people had been discovered, and the bones included the pubic bone, and jaw fragments
- Madsen didn’t assume there have been sufficient bones to organize and examine, however the bones discovered had been completely different from different dinosaurs discovered within the Cleveland-Lloyd quarry, together with a small Allosaurus
- Bits of Marshosaurus had been present in different dinosaur bonebeds (included extra cranium materials, a partial vertebral column)
- Within the 90s, extra fossils had been known as Marshosaurus; in 1991 Brooks Britt referred tail vertebrae (regarded like non-identified tail vertebrae from Cleveland-Lloyd), in 1993 a partial skeleton was referred (spines resembled non-identified spines from the Cleveland-Lloyd quarry; the partial skeleton was described in additional element in 1997
- At first, Madsen didn’t know the place to position Marshosaurus phylogenetically, and put it as Theropoda incertae sedis (in episode 54 we defined that incertae sedis means it’s unclear the place within the group it falls)
- Later evaluation discovered Marshosaurus to be a part of Avetheropod (group of bird-like theropods, contains Tyrannosaurus, Velociraptor, Allosaurus); however in 2009 Roger Benson mentioned it was a megalosauroid, primarily based on newly referred Megalosaurus specimens
- Roger Benson in 2010 included Marshosaurus in Megalosauroidea, as a basal member (group contains predators reminiscent of sail-backed Spinosaurus and different dinosaurs like Torvosaurus and Megalosaurus
- However little or no is understood nonetheless about Marshosaurus (like how did it dwell so near bigger predators like Allosaurus and Torvosaurus)
- Medium-sized carnivorous theropod that lived within the late Jurassic
- Gregory Paul estimated Marshosaurus to be about 14.8 ft (4.5 m), and weighed 440 lb (220 kg), and the cranium was about 24 in (60 cm) lengthy
- Different theropods discovered embrace Ceratosaurus, Ornitholestes, Torvosaurus; different dinosaurs embrace Stegosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Camarasaurus, Camptosaurus (herbivores might have gotten caught within the mud when attempting to cross, and it grew to become a loss of life lure for the carnivores, who smelled the lifeless dinosaurs, however then grew to become trapped too)
- Most likely very sturdy
- Had brief, thick arms that it in all probability used to carry on to prey
- One proper ilium (uppermost and largest bone in pelvis) has an “undescribed pathology”, in all probability from an damage
- Marsh has one other dinosaur named after him, Othnielosaurus (named in 2007); a small herbivore ornithipod that lived across the identical time and place as Marhosaurus, so might have been prey generally
- In 2012, Carrano et. al named the household Piatnitzkysauridae (which incorporates megalosauroid tetanurans)
- Consists of Piatnitzkysaurus, Condorraptor, Marshosaurus (and is a sister taxa to Megalosauria)
- Lived within the Jurassic in Argentina and the U.S.
- Enjoyable truth: The IOC World Chicken Checklist acknowledges 10,637 extant chook species amongst 2,289 genera. That is fairly just like the estimated variety of non-avian dinosaur genera (estimated at 1800 together with these nonetheless undiscovered). However all 2200+ of the chook genera are alive proper now, whereas the dinosaur genera had been unfold out over greater than 150Ma and lots of of them solely lasted a number of million years.