Episode 123 is all about Barapasaurus, a virtually fully recovered sauropod that lived within the Jurassic in what’s now India.
Calling all dinosaur lovers: Be part of our rising group on Patreon! We’ll be sending out stickers quickly!
Thanks to all our present Patreon supporters!
You possibly can take heed to our free podcast, with all our episodes, on iTunes at:
To enter to win a duplicate of High 10 Dinosaurs of 2016 go to https://giveaway.amazon.com/p/1e5e9b4a16b30150 and observe the directions for an opportunity to win.
On this episode, we focus on:
- A 25km lengthy trackway in Australia contains the largest single print and the most numerous set of tracks ever discovered
- A brand new giant abelisaurid, Chenanisaurus barbaricus, was found in a Morrocan mine, and should rival Carnotaurus
- Tyrannosaurid enamel had been present in for the primary time within the Corral de Enmedio Formation in Sonora, Mexico
- A brand new titanosaur was present in Argentina with the catchy identify MACN-Pv RN 233
- Progress continues on the utahraptor mission, uncovering one other decrease jaw.
- New proof reveals that Eubrontes tracks in Massachusetts had been doubtless parallel from obstacles not herding
- Jurassic World 2 might have dinosaurs carrying weapons, in case their enamel and claws weren’t sufficient
- Somebody took to crowd browsing in a dinosaur costume at a College of South Carolina basketball celebration
- Chinese language police have arrested dinosaur egg thieves
- A video reveals off some scrape marks close to Denver, presumably made by dinosaur courtship dances
- Solely In Your State featured “Dinosaur World” in Plant Metropolis, Florida with tons of dinosaur sculptures
- Within the UK, two dinosaurs had been noticed on the Southwark Bridge, crossing the Thames with a movie crew in tow
- Geek.com reported the historical past of the track “Stroll the Dinosaur” and it’s unusual comedy
The dinosaur of the day: Barapasaurus
- Identify means “massive leg lizard” (bara means massive and pa means leg in a number of Indian languages)
- Sauropod that lived within the early Jurassic in what’s now India
- One of many earliest identified sauropods
- Kind species is Barapasaurus tagorei
- Species identify means “Tagore’s”. The primary excavation of Barapsaurus was within the one hundredth anniversary yr of the beginning of Rabindranath Tagore, a well-known Bengali poet and artist. Species identify honors him
- Described in 1975 by Sohan Jain, Kutty, Roy-Chowdhury and Chatterjee
- Discovered sauropod bones within the Decrease Jurassic Kota formation of India in 1959
- Excavated 300 specimens in 1961-62
- Discovered 300 bones from a minimum of 6 people, so a lot of the skeleton is thought (one of the full sauropods from the early Jurassic, however no cranium bones discovered)
- As a result of there are a minimum of 6 specimens that died collectively, they could have been a part of a herd that died from a flood. The flood might have moved the our bodies after which once they decomposed, the bones might have disarticulated. A water stream might have moved the cranium bones
- When it was described, Barapasaurus was not assigned to a selected sauropod group. Paleontologists debate about the place it belongs as a result of it was giant for an early sauropod, however had some basal options
- Had traits (not as nicely developed) seen in later sauropods that allowed them to develop so giant, such because the lengthy neck, and centra and neural spines exhibiting the beginnings of being hollowed out, to scale back weight
- Had elongated cervical vertebrae, which gave it a protracted neck
- About 59 ft (18 m) lengthy, comparable in dimension to later sauropods
- Spoon-shaped enamel, like later sauropods, however with coarse serration
- Solely 3 enamel and three crowns discovered from the cranium. Largest tooth is 2.3 in (5.8) tall
- Had slender limbs
- Different animals in the identical time and place embrace the sauropod Kotasaurus, and the mammals Kotatherium, Indotherium, Indozostrodon
Enjoyable reality: Dinosaurs might have developed endothermy (heat bloodedness) to combat off fungal infections. There are an estimated 5 million species of fungus, however just a few hundred can infect people. That is primarily as a result of fungus gained’t develop on the greater physique temperatures of mammals and birds. However it will possibly thrive in ectotherms (chilly blooded animals). For example fungus is anticipated to have pushed about 200 frog species to extinction. However since dinosaurs (and mammals) are heat blooded had been rather more immune to fungus. Possibly it’s only a comfortable coincidence that it results in greater progress charges, longer lively intervals, and the power to inhabit a lot extra of the planet.
Be part of our rising group on Patreon! We’ll be sending out stickers quickly! https://www.patreon.com/iknowdino