Episode 389: Your Questions Answered. Dinosaurs in Antarctica, how lengthy people would survive alongside dinosaurs within the Mesozoic, and plenty of extra questions answered.
You possibly can hearken to our free podcast, with all our episodes, on Apple Podcasts at:
We reply the next questions:
- What “Dino of the day” most stunned you / most you in researching it for an episode?
- What well-known dino subject expedition would you favored to have been a part of?
- Who of the early paleontologists do you would like you would have interviewed?
- When you needed to take a aspect within the Bone Wars, would it not be Marsh or Cope?
- Will there ever be an opportunity that your favourite teams of dinosaurs (sauropods and ankylosaurs) might change?
- What are your favourite non-saurian extinct animals?
- Do you’ve got historic plant or fungal life you discover fascinating?
- Did you’ve got a favourite dinosaur toy rising up?
- How lengthy would a human survive within the early-Triassic, mid-Jurassic, or end-Cretaceous?
- What’s the Coolest fossil you’ve got discovered or seen?
- What makes Velociraptor (and different feathered dinosaurs) dinosaurs and never birds?
- Which fossil most appears to be lacking from the file, however you hope or count on to be discovered? Possibly a feathered T. rex?
- What’s—and isn’t—recognized about dinosaur pores and skin? How is it recognized, comfortable tissue preservation?
- Do you’ve got a routine for the way you do the analysis for every episode?
- Is there a particular specimen you need to go to and see sometime?
- Have any dinosaur fossils been discovered within the in Antarctica? Is their any probability any pores and skin, bone and so forth may very well be locked within the permafrost?
This episode is dropped at you by our patrons. Their beneficiant contributions make our podcast doable! You possibly can be a part of our neighborhood, assist us preserve the present going, and get the present ad-free for $9/month with an annual subscription. Go to Patreon.com/iknowdino to enroll.
The dinosaur of the day: Proa
- Basal iguanodont that lived within the Early Cretaceous in what’s now Teruel Province, Spain (Escucha Formation)
- Seems like different iguanodonts, with a protracted tail, cumbersome physique, and will stroll on all fours
- Had a comparatively massive head and was stocky
- Estimated to be 23 to 26 ft (7 to eight m) lengthy
- Sort and solely species is Proa valdearinnoensis
- Described in 2012 by Andrew McDonald and others
- Genus identify means “prow”, and refers back to the pointed form of the predentary bone (decrease jaw), that appears just like the bow on a ship
- Species identify refers to Val de Ariño, the standard identify for the coal mines, close to the place the fossils have been discovered
- A minimum of six people discovered, together with a partial skeleton and almost full cranium (5 specimens described within the paper)
- Greater than 340 bones discovered
- Initially reported in 2005, as fragmentary stays from an indeterminate basal iguanodont
- Sister taxon to Batyrosaurus
- Distinctive options embody the predentary coming to some extent on the rostral margin (the tip)
- Helps fill a spot within the fossil file of basal European iguanodonts
- Three braincases discovered (two nicely preserved)
- CT scanned the braincases, and located that its encephalization quotient (EQ) was about 3.6, which is fairly excessive
- Helps present that there was the next EQ for a short while in some ornithopods (not simply theropods)
- Hypothesized that this larger EQ could have led to residing in teams and caring for younger
- Lived in a swampy atmosphere with conifers, ferns, and flower crops
- Greater than 11,000 fossils discovered within the space since 2010
- Fossils present in amber within the space (typically bugs, but in addition mammal hair and a fraction of dinosaur feather)
- Have additionally lately discovered blood-sucking mosquitoes and dinosaur fossils collectively, which implies mosquitoes could have bit the dinosaurs
- Different dinosaurs that lived across the identical time and place embody the nodosaurid Europelta, allosauroids, iguanodontids, and titanosauriformes
- Different animals embody fish, turtles, crocodiles, mammals, and bugs
The phrase “mark” is a vital time period in ichnology, however its actual which means is disputed.
Your assist means a lot to us and retains us going! When you’re a dinosaur fanatic, be a part of our rising neighborhood on Patreon at patreon.com/iknowdino