Dinosaurs inhabited Earth for round 100 and seventy million years (far longer than the time period through which people have existed), and over that point, many various kinds of dinosaurs advanced and have become extinct.
With a purpose to perceive the relationships between various kinds of dinosaurs, paleontologists arrange particular person dinosaur species into teams of associated species.
For instance, Tyrannosaurus rex was a part of a household of dinosaurs referred to as Tyrannosauridae, which itself was a part of an excellent bigger group of dinosaurs: Saurischia, which contained each predatory and herbivorous species.
On this web page, we listing the key dinosaur teams, and supply examples of dinosaurs of every sort.
(If you wish to see a listing of particular person dinosaurs reasonably than varieties of dinosaurs, go to this web page: Listing of Dinosaurs.)
Web page Index
Associated Pages On Energetic Wild
You may see dinosaurs from particular durations of the Mesozoic Period on the next pages:
You’ll find in-depth data on every of the three durations of the Mesozoic Period on the next pages:
Varieties of Dinosaurs: Introduction
Varieties of dinosaurs embrace main teams akin to saurischians and ornithischians, that are divided into smaller teams akin to theropods and sauropods, which themselves are divided into smaller teams, such because the households Tyrannosauridae, Spinosauridae and Hadrosauridae.
All of those dinosaur teams–and extra–are coated on this web page.
Dinosaurs themselves type the group Dinosauria. Dinosauria is a gaggle inside the class Reptilia, which is a scientific means of claiming that dinosaurs are reptiles!
Dinosaurs, like all dwelling issues, are grouped collectively relying on how carefully they’re associated to one another. The method of grouping dwelling issues is named classification.
Associated species are likely to share bodily traits; all tyrannosaurid dinosaurs, for instance, have been giant, bipedal dinosaurs with heavy skulls.
Paleontologists classify dinosaurs by finding out their fossilized stays, discovering traits that establish the dinosaur as belonging to a sure group.
Reptiles, mammals, bugs, and all different animals belong to the group Animalia: the animal kingdom.
- You may study extra in regards to the completely different teams of dwelling issues on this web page: Animal Classification.
- You’ll find out extra in regards to the animal kingdom on this web page: Animals
Most dinosaurs are identified by their genus, reasonably than by their species identify. For instance, Iguanodon is a genus, reasonably than a person species. (An instance of an Iguanodon species is Iguanodon bernissartensis.)
A genus is a gaggle of closely-related species. For instance, the genus Homo incorporates not solely Homo sapiens (people), but additionally a number of different species, akin to neanderthals (Homo neanderthalensis).
The truth is, most individuals have solely heard of 1 species of dinosaur – Tyrannosaurus Rex, which is a species of Tyrannosaurus. All the different well-known dinosaur names, akin to Spinosaurus, Allosaurus and Velociraptor, are genera.
Word that the scientific identify of a species has two elements, the primary half being the genus to which the species belongs. Tyrannosaurus rex is a species of genus Tyrannosaurus. It’s conventional to jot down each the genus and species identify in italics, with the genus being capitalized.
Usually, the primary a part of an animal’s scientific identify (the genus) is shortened to only its preliminary. For this reason Tyrannosaurus rex is usually shortened to T. rex.
Science doesn’t stand nonetheless: as we uncover extra about dinosaurs, the best way through which various kinds of dinosaurs are labeled is prone to change.
On this web page we’ll study in regards to the various kinds of dinosaurs, and the way they’re at the moment grouped.
The Two Essential Sorts Of Dinosaur
There are two predominant kinds of dinosaur: saurischia and ornithischia.
It was English paleontologist Harry Seeley (see Wikipedia) who first observed that have been two predominant kinds of dinosaur: these whose hips have been lizard-like in construction, and people whose hips bird-like in construction.
Seeley referred to as the lizard-hipped dinosaurs ‘saurischians’, which comes from the Greek for ‘lizard hip joint’.
These with bird-like hips he named ‘ornithischians’, which comes from the Greek for ‘chicken hip joint’.
Saurischians Vs Ornithischians
All the carnivorous (meat-eating) dinosaurs have been saurischians, as have been many herbivorous (plant-eating) dinosaurs.
Typically, all ornithischians have been herbivores. Nevertheless, there could have been a number of ornithischians that have been omnivorous and even carnivorous.
Fossil proof means that ornithischians lived in herds.
- Saurischians = both carnivores or herbivores
- Ornithischians = practically all herbivores (probably some omnivores / partial carnivores). Most likely lived in herds.
Confusingly, the ornithischian, or bird-hipped, dinosaurs have been NOT the ancestors of birds. Birds advanced from a gaggle of saurischian (lizard-hipped) dinosaurs referred to as theropods.
Sorts Of Dinosaurs: Saurischians
On this part, we’re going to have a look at some well-known kinds of saurischian dinosaurs. The 2 predominant kinds of saurischian dinosaurs are theropods and sauropods.
Theropod dinosaurs have been bipedal meat eaters. (‘Bipedal’ implies that they walked on two legs)
Theropods first appeared within the late Triassic interval, and have been current all the best way as much as the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction occasion, which introduced the reign of the dinosaurs to an finish.
You’ll find out extra about these durations on this web page: Dinosaur Durations
Theropods Change into Birds
The Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction occasion wasn’t really the tip for the theropods. One group of theropods had already branched off and advanced into birds.
At present, most scientists are agreed that each one birds are dinosaurs. Due to this fact, you solely need to look out of your window to see that dinosaurs are very a lot alive at the moment!
Varieties of Theropod Dinosaurs
Coelurosaur means ‘hole tailed lizard’. Coelurosauria is a big group of dinosaurs that incorporates theropods that have been extra like birds than Carnosaurians (a gaggle of dinosaurs which we’ll meet additional down the web page). The Tyrannosaurids, together with T Rex, have been coelurosaurs.
Maniraptora is a department of bird-like dinosaurs. They first appeared within the Jurassic Interval, and are the ancestors of modern-day birds. This group of dinosaurs contains the Dromaeosauridae (raptor) household.
Household: Dromaeosauridae (Raptors)
Members of the dinosaur household Dromaeosauridae are typically referred to as “raptors”. These feathered dinosaurs appeared within the mid-Jurassic interval. They ranged from small, bird-like species to bigger, extra strong predators.
- Velociraptor: Maybe essentially the most well-known dromaeosaurid, Velociraptor lived through the Late Cretaceous interval. It was smaller than typically depicted in common media, roughly the scale of a turkey, and was coated in feathers.
- Deinonychus: This bigger and extra strong dromaeosaurid lived through the Early Cretaceous interval. Deinonychus is notable for its highly effective legs and huge, sickle-shaped claws, which it probably used for searching and climbing.
- Microraptor: A small, four-winged dromaeosaurid that lived through the Early Cretaceous. Microraptor is exclusive for its lengthy feathers on each its legs and arms, suggesting it may glide or probably even fly.
- Utahraptor: One of many largest identified dromaeosaurids, Utahraptor lived through the Early Cretaceous interval. It was considerably bigger than Velociraptor, with some estimates suggesting it may develop as much as 7 meters in size.
- Dakotaraptor: A comparatively latest discovery, Dakotaraptor lived through the Late Cretaceous interval. It was giant for a dromaeosaurid and had a strong construct, with a very giant sickle claw on every foot.
Abelisauridae is a household of theropod dinosaurs that lived in Africa, South America and Asia through the Cretaceous interval.
One of these dinosaur sometimes had highly effective hind legs and very quick forelimbs. Their skulls have been quick in size, however tall, and sometimes had grooves or projections (some of the well-known Abelisaurid dinosaurs, Carnotaurus, had thick, bony horns.)
- Abelisaurus: The namesake of the group, Abelisaurus lived through the Late Cretaceous interval in what’s now South America. It was a big theropod, although solely its cranium has been extensively studied.
- Carnotaurus: Maybe essentially the most well-known abelisaurid, Carnotaurus is thought for its distinctive horns above its eyes and its extraordinarily diminished forelimbs. It lived in South America through the Late Cretaceous interval.
- Majungasaurus: This abelisaurid from Madagascar lived through the Late Cretaceous interval. It’s identified for its distinctive, domed cranium and quick, deep snout.
- Rajasaurus: Residing in what’s now India through the Late Cretaceous, Rajasaurus had a particular single horn on its brow. It was a medium-sized abelisaurid.
- Ekrixinatosaurus: One other South American abelisaurid from the Late Cretaceous interval, Ekrixinatosaurus was a big predator, although a lot of its life historical past stays a thriller as a result of restricted fossil findings.
Named after Tyrannosaurus (which suggests ‘tyrant lizard’), Tyrannosauridae is a household of bipedal, meat-eating theropod dinosaurs. Tyrannosaurids are identified for his or her big skulls, highly effective jaws, and quick arms.
Maybe essentially the most well-known dinosaur of all, Tyrannosaurus Rex, was a member of the Tyrannosauridae household.
- Tyrannosaurus rex: Essentially the most well-known tyrannosaurid, T. rex lived through the Late Cretaceous interval in what’s now North America. It was one of many largest land carnivores of all time, reaching lengths of as much as 40 toes.
- Albertosaurus: A smaller relative of T. rex, Albertosaurus lived within the Late Cretaceous interval in North America. It was extra frivolously constructed in comparison with T. rex, with longer, extra slender limbs suggesting higher agility.
- Gorgosaurus: This tyrannosaurid was comparable in measurement and look to Albertosaurus however lived barely earlier through the Late Cretaceous. Gorgosaurus was additionally a North American dinosaur, identified for its highly effective construct.
- Daspletosaurus: One other tyrannosaurid from North America, Daspletosaurus lived through the Late Cretaceous interval. It was identified for its strong cranium and tooth, which have been designed for crushing bone.
- Tarbosaurus: Carefully associated to T. rex, Tarbosaurus lived in Asia through the Late Cretaceous interval. It shared many traits with T. rex, together with an enormous cranium and highly effective jaws, however had barely completely different proportions and cranium options.
The spinosaurids have been one other household of enormous, bipedal, meat-eating dinosaurs. Spinosaurids had lengthy, skinny, crocodile-like skulls and specialised tooth tailored for catching fish. Some members of this household, akin to Spinosaurus and Baryonyx, have been specialised fish-eaters.
Spinosaurus itself had a big sail on its again. This was held up by spine-like bones, from which it bought its identify (Spinosaurus means ‘backbone lizard’). The Spinosauridae household was named after Spinosaurus, however not all family members have the same sail.
- Spinosaurus: Essentially the most well-known spinosaurid, Spinosaurus lived in what’s now North Africa through the Late Cretaceous interval. It’s distinguished by its lengthy, slender cranium and a sail-like construction on its again, fashioned by elongated spinal vertebrae. Spinosaurus is assumed to have been semi-aquatic, searching each in water and on land.
- Baryonyx: This spinosaurid lived through the Early Cretaceous interval in what’s now Europe. Baryonyx had an extended, slender snout crammed with conical tooth and a big claw on its first finger, which it might have used for fishing. Its construct suggests it was well-adapted for a weight loss plan that included fish and different small prey.
- Irritator: Irritator was a spinosaurid theropod dinosaur that lived through the Early Cretaceous interval, roughly 110 million years in the past, in what’s now Brazil. Its identify, derived from the irritation felt by the paleontologists who found that the fossil had been artificially modified by fossil poachers, displays a novel facet of its discovery. Irritator was a medium-sized spinosaurid, estimated to be about 8 meters (26 toes) in size. It possessed an extended, slender cranium much like that of a crocodile, tailored for a weight loss plan that probably included fish.
- Suchomimus: Residing in Africa through the Early Cretaceous interval, Suchomimus additionally featured a crocodile-like snout and conical tooth, perfect for catching fish. It had a big claw on its hand and a ridge of elongated spines alongside its again, although not as pronounced because the sail of Spinosaurus.
Carnosauria is a gaggle of theropods that features the households Allosauridae and Carcharodontosauridae.
Allosauridae is a household of predatory dinosaurs that lived within the late Jurassic and early Cretaceous durations. These giant theropod dinosaurs have been apex predators of their ecosystems through the Late Jurassic to Early Cretaceous durations.
- Allosaurus: Essentially the most well-known allosaurid, Allosaurus lived through the Late Jurassic interval. It was a big predator, characterised by its highly effective jaws, sharp tooth, and huge claws. Allosaurus was one of many dominant predators in North America and probably different elements of the world.
- Saurophaganax: This dinosaur, which could symbolize a big species of Allosaurus, lived in North America through the Late Jurassic. Saurophaganax was one of many largest allosaurids, identified for its measurement and energy.
- Sinraptor: Residing through the Late Jurassic in what’s now China, Sinraptor was a smaller allosaurid in comparison with Allosaurus and Saurophaganax. It was a swift and agile predator, tailored to searching the dinosaurs that shared its atmosphere.
Carcharodontosauridae is a household of dinosaurs that features a few of the largest land carnivores that ever lived. The identify is derived from the Greek for ‘shark-toothed lizards’.
Carcharodontosaurids had large skulls geared up with sharp, serrated tooth, fitted to searching and consuming giant prey. These highly effective dinosaurs have been among the many high predators of their respective ecosystems.
- Carcharodontosaurus: The namesake of this group, Carcharodontosaurus lived in North Africa through the Late Cretaceous interval. It was one of many largest identified carnivorous dinosaurs, comparable in measurement to Tyrannosaurus rex. Its identify means “shark-toothed lizard,” reflecting its giant, serrated tooth.
- Giganotosaurus: This large predator lived in what’s now Argentina through the Late Cretaceous interval. Giganotosaurus is among the largest theropod dinosaurs ever found, probably even bigger than T. rex. It had an extended cranium and highly effective jaws crammed with sharp tooth.
- Mapusaurus: Additionally from the Late Cretaceous of Argentina, Mapusaurus was comparable in measurement to Giganotosaurus. It’s identified from a bonebed containing a number of people, suggesting that Mapusaurus could have lived and probably hunted in teams.
- Tyrannotitan: A big carcharodontosaurid theropod dinosaur that lived in Argentina through the Early Cretaceous interval, about 112 million years in the past. Tyrannotitan stood out for its giant measurement, probably reaching lengths of round 12 meters (39 toes).
The sauropods have been a gaggle of saurischian dinosaurs. Many sauropods grew to unbelievable sizes, and the group incorporates the largest land animals ever to stroll the earth.
A typical sauropod had a big barrel-shaped physique, an extended neck, a small head, and an extended, highly effective tail. It stood on 4, tree-trunk like, legs.
Diplodocidae was a household of sauropod dinosaurs. Members of this household sometimes had very lengthy our bodies and whip-like tails. Their legs have been comparatively quick, they usually weren’t as tall as different sauropods.
- Diplodocus: Maybe essentially the most well-known of the group, Diplodocus lived through the Late Jurassic interval in what’s now North America. It was characterised by an especially lengthy tail, lengthy neck, and a comparatively small head. Diplodocus may attain lengths of as much as 27 meters (88 toes).
- Apatosaurus (previously referred to as Brontosaurus): Additionally from the Late Jurassic of North America, Apatosaurus was comparable in measurement to Diplodocus however had a sturdier construct, with a extra strong neck and legs. Its identify means “misleading lizard.”
- Brachytrachelopan: A novel member of the diplodocid household, Brachytrachelopan lived in South America through the Late Jurassic. It was distinguished by its unusually quick neck, which was a uncommon trait among the many sometimes long-necked sauropods.
- Brontosaurus, as soon as controversially labeled and later reinstated as a definite genus of sauropod dinosaurs, lived through the Late Jurassic interval, about 155 to 150 million years in the past. Recognized for its immense measurement, lengthy neck, and whip-like tail, Brontosaurus was a herbivorous dinosaur that roamed the floodplains of what’s now North America.
- Supersaurus: One of many largest dinosaurs ever found, Supersaurus lived through the Late Jurassic interval. It was notable for its huge measurement, with some estimates suggesting a size of over 30 meters (98 toes), making it one of many longest sauropods.
Titanosaurs have been a department of sauropod dinosaurs that appeared within the early Cretaceous and lived proper as much as the tip of the Mesozoic period. They have been sometimes sauropod generally form, and had small heads, giant nostrils, and bony crests.
The group contains Argentinosaurus, a genus which, though solely identified from a small collection of bones, was probably the largest ever land animal ever to have lived.
- Argentinosaurus: One of many largest identified land animals of all time, Argentinosaurus lived through the Late Cretaceous interval in what’s now Argentina. It’s estimated to have reached lengths of as much as 30 meters (98 toes) and probably weighed as a lot as 100 tons.
- Patagotitan: Found in Argentina, Patagotitan is one other colossal member of the titanosaurs, dwelling through the Late Cretaceous. It was comparable in measurement to Argentinosaurus, with some estimates suggesting a size of round 37 meters (121 toes).
- Saltasaurus: Recognized for being one of many first sauropods found with bony armor, Saltasaurus was a comparatively smaller titanosaur that lived through the Late Cretaceous in South America. It was about 12.2 to 12.8 meters (40 to 42 toes) in size.
- Dreadnoughtus: One of the crucial full titanosaurs ever discovered, Dreadnoughtus lived through the Late Cretaceous in what’s now South America. Estimates of its measurement counsel it was about 26 meters (85 toes) lengthy and will have weighed round 59 tons.
Sorts Of Dinosaurs: Ornithischians
Ornithischian (bird-hipped) dinosaurs have been one of many two predominant kinds of dinosaurs (the opposite being the lizard-hipped Saurischians, which we’ve coated additional up the web page).
Many Ornithischians had beaks and jaws that have been tailored for reducing and chewing vegetation
A few of the best-known kinds of Ornithischian dinosaurs are listed beneath.
Thyreophora (Armored Dinosaurs)
Thyreophora was a department of ornithischian dinosaurs. Thyreophora means ‘defend bearers’. One other identify given to this group is ‘armored dinosaurs’.
Thyreophorans have been closely armored with thick pores and skin and rows of plates working alongside their our bodies. Many have been additional protected by spikes and tail golf equipment.
Two well-known teams of Thyreophorans have been Stegosauria and Ankylosauria.
Stegosaurian dinosaurs have been a gaggle of herbivorous, armored dinosaurs identified for his or her distinctive plates and spikes alongside their backs and tails.
Stegosaurus is the best-known Stegosaurian, however a number of different genera have been found. Stegosaurus belonged to the household Stegosauridae. One other Stegosaurian household is Huayangosauridae.
- Stegosaurus: Essentially the most well-known stegosaurian, Stegosaurus lived through the Late Jurassic interval in what’s now North America. It’s well-known for its two rows of enormous, bony plates alongside its again and a spiked tail, which it probably used for protection.
- Kentrosaurus: This stegosaurian lived through the Late Jurassic in what’s now Tanzania, Africa. Kentrosaurus had a row of small plates on its again that transitioned into spikes in the direction of the tail, making it a particular member of this group.
- Huayangosaurus: An early stegosaurian from the Center Jurassic interval, Huayangosaurus was found in China. It had each plates and spikes alongside its again, and its skeletal construction reveals extra primitive options in comparison with later stegosaurs like Stegosaurus.
- Tuojiangosaurus: Additionally from China, Tuojiangosaurus lived through the Late Jurassic interval. It resembled Stegosaurus in its plates and spikes however was smaller in measurement.
- Gigantspinosaurus: Residing in what’s now China through the Late Jurassic, Gigantspinosaurus was distinctive for its huge shoulder spikes. Its again was adorned with smaller plates in comparison with Stegosaurus.
Ankylosauria was a gaggle of armored dinosaurs that appeared within the mid-Jurassic and remained till the tip of the Mesozoic period. They have been giant, highly effective, four-legged animals. All have been closely armored, and a few developed tail golf equipment which have been probably used as defensive weapons in opposition to predators.
- Ankylosaurus: Essentially the most well-known of the ankylosaurians, Ankylosaurus lived through the Late Cretaceous interval in North America. It was identified for its large physique armor and huge membership on the finish of its tail, used for protection in opposition to predators.
- Euoplocephalus: This ankylosaurian lived through the Late Cretaceous in what’s now Canada. Euoplocephalus was characterised by its heavy physique armor and a small clubbed tail.
- Sauropelta: Residing through the Early Cretaceous in North America, Sauropelta was one of many earliest ankylosaurians. It had intensive bony armor alongside its again however lacked the tail membership seen in later species.
- Minmi: Minmi was a small, armored ankylosaurian dinosaur that lived through the Early Cretaceous interval in what’s now Australia. This comparatively small dinosaur reached about 3 meters (10 toes) in size, It had bony physique armor and horizontally oriented, bony plates alongside its sides.
- Nodosaurus: One other early ankylosaurian, Nodosaurus lived in North America through the Late Cretaceous. It was closely armored however, like Sauropelta, didn’t have a tail membership.
- Polacanthus: This ankylosaurian lived through the Early Cretaceous interval in what’s now Europe. Polacanthus was identified for its distinctive array of spines and armor plates however, much like earlier ankylosaurians, lacked a tail membership.
Ornithopods have been a department of Ornithischian dinosaurs that appeared within the mid Jurassic Interval and which survived to the tip of the Cretaceous Interval. They’d three-toed toes, beaks, and a comparatively superior mouth construction that enabled them to breathe whereas chewing.
Household: Hadrosauridae (Duck-Billed Dinosaurs)
Hadrosauridae was a household of ornithopods descended from the Iguanodontians. Many Hadrosaurids have been capable of stroll each on two and 4 toes; they probably used all 4 toes when grazing, however ran utilizing solely their hind legs.
Hadrosaurids are often known as “duck-billed” dinosaurs as a result of their broad mouth elements, which resemble the beaks of geese. Many hadrosaurids had elaborate cranial crests or ornamentations.
- Parasaurolophus: Recognized for its lengthy, backward-curving cranial crest, which can have been used for communication or show, Parasaurolophus lived through the Late Cretaceous interval in North America.
- Edmontosaurus: This massive hadrosaurid lacked the fanciful cranial crests seen in a few of its kinfolk. Edmontosaurus, with its broad, duck-like invoice, roamed North America through the Late Cretaceous.
- Maiasaura: Which means “good mom lizard,” Maiasaura is legendary for proof suggesting that it cared for its younger. It lived through the Late Cretaceous in what’s now North America and was crestless like Edmontosaurus.
- Lambeosaurus: This dinosaur is distinguished by its distinctive hole cranial crest, which took on numerous shapes relying on the species. Lambeosaurus lived through the Late Cretaceous interval in North America and Asia.
- Corythosaurus: One other crested hadrosaurid, Corythosaurus had a big, helmet-like crest on its head. It lived through the Late Cretaceous in North America and its crest could have been used for vocalization, show, or thermoregulation.
Pachycephalosauria was a sort of dinosaur that lived within the Late Cretaceous interval. Pachycephalosaurians have been bipedal and had thick skulls (the identify Pachycephalosauria means ‘thick headed lizards’). Many members of this group had domed skulls, which have been typically embellished with spikes.
The thick skulls of Pachycephalosaurians could have been an adaptation for combating. These dinosaurs could have established dominance inside their teams by ramming their heads collectively; a conduct seen in dwelling sheep and goats.
Another clarification is that the thicks skulls have been used for flank-butting, through which the edges (flanks), reasonably than the skulls, of rival dinosaurs have been focused.
- Pachycephalosaurus: Essentially the most well-known pachycephalosaurian, Pachycephalosaurus lived through the Late Cretaceous interval in North America. It had a big, bony dome atop its cranium, surrounded by knobs and spikes.
- Stegoceras: Stegoceras was a small pachycephalosaurian dinosaur with a thick, domed cranium It lived through the Late Cretaceous interval in what’s now North America. This bipedal herbivore was round 2 meters (6.5 toes) in size.
- Stygimoloch: Recognized for its distinctive cranium with a smaller dome and a hoop of lengthy, horn-like spikes in the back of its head, Stygimoloch additionally lived through the Late Cretaceous in North America.
- Dracorex: That includes a novel cranium with flat, bony bumps and huge spikes, Dracorex, whose identify means “dragon king,” was a pachycephalosaurian from the Late Cretaceous of North America. In contrast to Pachycephalosaurus, Dracorex had a flat cranium reasonably than a domed one.
Ceratopsid dinosaurs, identified for his or her outstanding frills and facial horns and beak-like mouth elements, have been a gaggle of herbivorous dinosaurs that lived primarily through the Late Cretaceous interval. The identify Ceratopsia means “horned faces”.
This group of dinosaurs turned frequent within the Cretaceous interval and have been present in North America, Europe and Asia. They ranged from 1 – 9 m (3.3 ft to 30 ft.) in size, with the most important weighing round 9 metric tonnes.
- Triceratops: Essentially the most well-known ceratopsid, Triceratops is thought for its three horns – two over the eyes and one on the nostril – and a big bony frill. It lived in what’s now North America.
- Styracosaurus: This ceratopsid had a particular look with a big frill bearing a number of lengthy spikes, along with a single giant horn on its nostril. Styracosaurus lived in North America through the Late Cretaceous.
- Centrosaurus: Recognized for its shorter frill with giant hornlets on the edges and a single giant horn over its nostril, Centrosaurus was one other North American ceratopsid that lived through the Late Cretaceous.
- Pentaceratops: Sporting 5 horns and a big, deep frill, Pentaceratops was one of many bigger ceratopsids. It lived in North America through the Late Cretaceous interval.
- Protoceratops: A smaller and earlier member of the ceratopsid household, Protoceratops lacked the outstanding facial horns of its bigger kinfolk however had a well-developed frill. It lived in what’s now Mongolia through the Late Cretaceous.
Sorts Of Dinosaurs: Conclusion
Dinosaurs inhabited Earth for tens of hundreds of thousands of years longer than people have spent on the planet.
This gave the dinosaurs loads of time to department off and evolve into various kinds of dinosaur.
Dinosaur species had been showing – and turning into extinct – for hundreds of thousands of years earlier than the mass extinction occasion on the finish of the Cretaceous interval that killed off the final non-avian dinosaurs.
After watching movies akin to Jurassic Park it’s simple to overlook that not all kinds of dinosaur lived collectively. Even dinosaurs that lived in the identical interval could have been separated by hundreds of thousands of years.
For instance, 57 million (or extra) years handed between the disappearance of baryonyx walkeri and the looks tyrannosaurus rex, but each species lived through the Cretaceous Interval.
Like all dwelling animals, dinosaurs will be labeled into completely different teams. Nevertheless, our whole information of dinosaurs stems from fossilized stays which were within the floor for an nearly unimaginable size of time.
For this reason, as we unearth increasingly fossils, our understanding of dinosaurs – and the connection between various kinds of dinosaurs – is constantly altering.
Uncover Extra With Energetic Wild
We hope that you’ve got loved studying all in regards to the various kinds of dinosaur. You’ll find lots extra dinosaur data on the next pages:
Change into a dinosaur knowledgeable – take a look at our predominant Dinosaur Info Web page.
Study in regards to the many alternative dinosaurs of the Mesozoic period: Listing of Dinosaurs