The fast progress of ChatGPT – a man-made intelligence chatbot – has been outstanding. (Listed here are primers on the way it works.) However does ChatGPT have even a rudimentary understanding of a distinct segment matter like birding?
I requested it just a few questions on birding areas and the (unedited) outcomes are beneath, together with some transient evaluation. My high-level impression is that ChatGPT can synthesize plenty of data and produce outcomes that originally appear spectacular, however that it nonetheless makes apparent errors and a few of its algorithms can lead it astray, notably for a topic like birding the place there’s probably a paucity of credible supply materials on the web.
I additionally requested ChatGPT for some birding jokes, and they’re on the finish.
# # #
Question: Present an inventory of the 20 finest birding areas in america.
Actually! Here’s a listing of 20 well-liked birding areas in america, recognized for his or her wealthy range of chicken species and habitats:
- Magee Marsh Wildlife Space – Ohio
- Bosque del Apache Nationwide Wildlife Refuge – New Mexico
- Level Reyes Nationwide Seashore – California
- Cape Could – New Jersey
- Everglades Nationwide Park – Florida
- Excessive Island – Texas
- Nice Smoky Mountains Nationwide Park – Tennessee/North Carolina
- Large Bend Nationwide Park – Texas
- Acadia Nationwide Park – Maine
- Cape Ann – Massachusetts
- Sanibel Island – Florida
- Japanese Shore of Virginia Nationwide Wildlife Refuge – Virginia
- Yellowstone Nationwide Park – Wyoming/Montana
- Chincoteague Nationwide Wildlife Refuge – Virginia
- Anahuac Nationwide Wildlife Refuge – Texas
- Klamath Basin Nationwide Wildlife Refuge Complicated – Oregon/California
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum – Arizona
- Hawk Mountain Sanctuary – Pennsylvania
- Pt. Pelee Nationwide Park – Ohio
- Santa Ana Nationwide Wildlife Refuge – Texas
These areas provide quite a lot of habitats together with marshes, wetlands, forests, coastal areas, and deserts, attracting quite a few chicken species all year long. Please notice that the supply of particular chicken species could differ relying on the season.
Evaluation: This listing contains most of the most evident birding hotspots, but in addition some errors and some puzzling entries. Initially, Level Pelee Nationwide Park seems to be in Ontario, Canada (not Ohio), which makes it unsuitable, in addition to excluded by the question itself. I’m a westerner, so maybe it’s a wonderful hotspot, however I’ve by no means heard Cape Ann, Massachusetts known as a world-class birding location. Of all of the hotspots in Arizona, I might have thought that quite a few locations aside from the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum would have been extra probably. Placing apart the one apparent error, total this looks as if a B+ listing.
# # #
Question: What are the 25 finest nationwide wildlife refuges for birding?
As of my information cutoff in September 2021, the next listing contains 25 well-regarded nationwide wildlife refuges in america for birding. Please notice that rankings and opinions could differ relying on private preferences and birding circumstances. Right here they’re, listed in no specific order:
- Bosque del Apache Nationwide Wildlife Refuge (New Mexico)
- Magee Marsh Wildlife Space/Ottawa Nationwide Wildlife Refuge (Ohio)
- Anahuac Nationwide Wildlife Refuge (Texas)
- Everglades Nationwide Park (Florida)
- Level Reyes Nationwide Seashore (California)
- Cape Could Nationwide Wildlife Refuge (New Jersey)
- Santa Ana Nationwide Wildlife Refuge (Texas)
- Bombay Hook Nationwide Wildlife Refuge (Delaware)
- Bear River Migratory Chicken Refuge (Utah)
- Chincoteague Nationwide Wildlife Refuge (Virginia)
- J.N. “Ding” Darling Nationwide Wildlife Refuge (Florida)
- Kodiak Nationwide Wildlife Refuge (Alaska)
- Ridgefield Nationwide Wildlife Refuge (Washington)
- Klamath Basin Nationwide Wildlife Refuge Complicated (Oregon/California)
- Aransas Nationwide Wildlife Refuge (Texas)
- Merritt Island Nationwide Wildlife Refuge (Florida)
- Grand Teton Nationwide Park (Wyoming)
- Seney Nationwide Wildlife Refuge (Michigan)
- Edwin B. Forsythe Nationwide Wildlife Refuge (New Jersey)
- Malheur Nationwide Wildlife Refuge (Oregon)
- Laguna Atascosa Nationwide Wildlife Refuge (Texas)
- Okefenokee Nationwide Wildlife Refuge (Georgia)
- San Juan Islands Nationwide Wildlife Refuge (Washington)
- White River Nationwide Wildlife Refuge (Arkansas)
- Nice Dismal Swamp Nationwide Wildlife Refuge (Virginia/North Carolina)
Please needless to say chicken populations and circumstances at these refuges can change over time, so it’s all the time a good suggestion to test the most recent data earlier than planning a visit.
Evaluation: I’ve posted in regards to the High 25 NWRs for Birding, and this listing is analogous (12 of 25 of the ChatGPT listing are additionally on my listing), but in addition contains some puzzlers and a few errors. Initially, Everglades Nationwide Park, Level Reyes Nationwide Seashore, and Grand Teton Nationwide Park will not be nationwide wildlife refuges in any respect (they’re a part of the Nationwide Park System), so they’re unsuitable. I might have thought differentiating between nationwide wildlife refuges and nationwide parks (despite the fact that each embrace the phrase “nationwide” of their identify) would have been comparatively easy for a complicated AI system, however evidently it’s not.
Kodiak NWR is extremely inaccessible (“The 1.9 million acre Refuge can solely be reached by boat or floatplane”) and it has fewer than 100 checklists and simply 126 species on eBird, so its inclusion makes little sense. Ditto for San Juan Islands NWR, which additionally has fewer than 100 checklists (and fewer than 125 species) on eBird. Furthermore, most of it’s closed to the general public. I’m curious how both of those locations may find yourself on this listing.
Given these class errors and baffling inclusions, I feel this can be a C+ end result.
# # #
Question: The place is the perfect place in america to see a Kirtland’s Warbler?
The perfect place to see a Kirtland’s Warbler in america is within the state of Michigan. The Kirtland’s Warbler is an endangered chicken species that breeds primarily within the jack pine forests of northern Michigan. Particularly, the warbler’s main breeding vary is concentrated in just a few counties within the northern Decrease Peninsula and the japanese Higher Peninsula of Michigan.
To extend the possibilities of recognizing a Kirtland’s Warbler, it’s really useful to go to the Jack Pine Wildlife Viewing Space within the Huron-Manistee Nationwide Forests close to Grayling, Michigan. This designated space gives appropriate habitat for the species and gives alternatives for birdwatchers and nature lovers to watch the warblers throughout their breeding season from late Could to early August.
It’s necessary to notice that Kirtland’s Warblers are migratory birds and spend their winters within the Bahamas. They return to Michigan for nesting through the summer season months. Conservation efforts have been instrumental in sustaining and growing their inhabitants, making Michigan a superb place for birdwatchers excited about observing this uncommon and exquisite species.
Evaluation: I’ve by no means seen a Kirtland’s Warbler, however that is in step with the analysis I’ve achieved to repair that downside. The ChatGPT abstract is transient, contains related details about when to go to and which habitat to concentrate on, and it seems correct. Nevertheless, Kirtland’s Warbler is not listed on the Endangered Species Act, because it was delisted in 2019. That looks as if a reality ChatGPT ought to get right. Grade: A-.
# # #
Question: I’ve a 4 hour layover in Denver and need to do some birding near the airport. The place ought to I’m going?
If in case you have a four-hour layover in Denver and need to do some birding near the airport, the most effective choices is to go to the Rocky Mountain Arsenal Nationwide Wildlife Refuge. It’s situated simply northeast of the Denver Worldwide Airport and gives glorious birding alternatives.
The Rocky Mountain Arsenal Nationwide Wildlife Refuge is a 15,000-acre wildlife sanctuary that gives habitat for greater than 330 species of birds. It has quite a lot of habitats, together with prairies, wetlands, lakes, and woodlands, which are a magnet for a various vary of chicken species all year long.
To go to the refuge from the airport, you possibly can take a taxi or rideshare service, which might usually take round 20-Half-hour relying on visitors. When you arrive, you possibly can discover the refuge on foot or by automotive, as there are a number of driving routes and strolling trails accessible.
Some well-liked birding spots inside the refuge embrace Lake Mary, the place you will discover waterfowl and shorebirds, and the Wildlife Drive, which gives alternatives to identify raptors, songbirds, and waterbirds. The customer heart on the refuge gives details about current chicken sightings and might provide steerage on the perfect areas to discover throughout your restricted time.
Please notice that it’s necessary to contemplate the time required for transportation and safety procedures when planning your layover birding tour. Guarantee that you’ve got ample time to return to the airport nicely earlier than your subsequent flight.
Evaluation: I haven’t truly achieved this and can’t verify among the particulars, however my analysis means that this is able to be the perfect plan. I don’t suppose this was a tough query, however it received the proper and straightforward reply. Grade: A.
# # #
Question: What are 5 good birding jokes?
Certain! Listed here are 5 birding jokes for you:
- Why don’t birds make good comedians? As a result of their jokes all the time “fly” over our heads!
- What do you name a chicken that may repair something? A “repairrot”!
- Why did the duck grow to be a detective? It all the time quacked the case!
- What do you name a chicken that’s afraid to fly? Rooster!
- Why don’t seagulls fly over the bay? As a result of then they’d be bagels!
I hope these jokes deliver a smile to your face!
Evaluation: Jokes are laborious and these are chicken jokes moderately than birding jokes, however I did smile.
# # #
ChatGPT emblem from Vectezzy.