Episode 111 is all about Malawisaurus, a titanosaur that lived in Malawi in Africa, throughout the Early Cretaceous.
Do you want dinosaurs? Assist us hold our podcast occurring Patreon!
Huge thanks to all our present Patreon supporters!
You may hearken to our free podcast, with all our episodes, on iTunes at:
On this episode, we talk about:
- The dinosaur of the day: Malawisaurus
- Title means “Malawi lizard”
- Sauropod, titanosaur, that lived in Malawi in Africa, throughout the Early Cretaceous
- Named for the nation of Malawi, plus saurus (Greek for lizard)
- Louis L. Jacobs, D. A. Winkler, W.R. Downs, and E.M. Gomani named Malawisaurus in 1993
- Sidney H. Haughton described Malawisaurus in 1928 however categorised it as a species of Gigantosaurus (now an invalid title for a diplodocid, often called Tornieria)
- One other synonym is Janenschia (was a Gigantosaurus species, Gigantosaurus robustus, that grew to become Tornieria robustus, however was present in 1991 to be distinct from Tornieria, and have become often called Janenschia robustus)
- Not the identical as Janenschia as a result of Malawi fossils come from older rocks than Janenschia
- Sort species is Malawisaurus dixeyi
- In 2005, Elizabeth Gomani wrote Sauropod Dinosaurs from the Early Cretaceous of Malawi, Africa, and wrote about Malawisaurus
- Malawisaurus is without doubt one of the few titanosaurs the place cranium materials has been discovered
- Discovered cranial parts, cervical vertebrae, dorsal vertebrae, a sacrum, caudal vertebrae, chevrons, and dermal armor
- Had a brief, excessive cranium
- Small for a sauropod, about 52 ft (16 m) lengthy
- Probably had osteoderms on its pores and skin, might have fashioned fundamental armor to guard it
- Titanosaurs are a gaggle of sauropods, very giant herbivores, that lived over the last 30 million years of the Mesozoic Period. Some titanosaur species are the biggest land-living animals found, however in lots of circumstances, scientists have discovered incomplete fossils
- The title Titanosaur got here from the Titans of Historical Greek mythology
- The household, Titanosauridae, was named after Titanosaurus, an incomplete fossil (solely a partial femur and two incomplete caudal vertebrae) discovered by Richard Lydekker in 1877. Some scientists suppose there’s not sufficient info for Titanosauridae to be a genus
- Titanosaurs have been the final group of sauropods. They lived about 90 to 66 million years in the past and have been the dominant herbivores. They changed different sauropods, like diplodocids and brachiosaurids
- Titanosaur fossils have been discovered on all continents, together with Antarctica. Probably the most titanosaurs lived within the southern continents, which was then a part of the supercontinent Gondwana.
- In comparison with different sauropods, Titanosaurs had small heads. Their heads have been additionally large, with giant nostrils, and crests fashioned by nasal bones
- Enjoyable truth: Ontogeny pertains to developmental modifications in an animal, whereas phylogeny pertains to evolutionary modifications. There’s a concept referred to as the “recapitulation concept,” which for 100s of years has been used to equate embryonic improvement to a form of mini-evolution, i.e., a human fetus appears not solely appears like a fish as a result of we developed from fish, however actually passes by a fish stage. It’s not true, however it’s a good option to keep in mind what ontogeny and phylogeny imply.
This episode was dropped at you by:
Artemesia Publishing. They not solely publish award-winning dinosaur books, but in addition “coloring puzzles” which could be put collectively after which coloured utilizing markers, crayons, or coloured pencils. You may get extra info at apbooks.internet and you should purchase the “coloring puzzles” at http://www.paleoartisans.com/Catalog/fuseaction/ListProducts/classid/152603.